What Else Can I Say But; Lord Have Mercy!!!!


I was having lunch yesterday when I heard the gates allowing access to my yard started giving off some sound indicating to me and the other occupants on the property that someone was at the gate. I shouted out and asked, "Who is there?" and soon a familiar response came,
"It's me Papa!"
"Come on in Papa!" I said.
The gates began to make more noise as iron bash against iron while Papa open the gates and came through them.
"What's going on, Papa? I haven't seen you for a long time now... I thought you threw us away!"
I said to the short statue of the man as he stood at the veranda with sweat dripping from his face unto his stained soiled shirt.
"My Sister!" he said, "I couldn't come this way because I have two dead in my family."
"What? Who for you died?" I asked in astonishment, as I motion to him to take the bag from his head and rest it on the concrete pavement where we both stood.
taking the load from his head, he then took the load from off his feet, and seated himself on the thick of wood that was leaned against the wall of the kitchen.
And as Papa say down on the piece of log,  he began to indulge me in the stories of the tragic losses he had in his family.
"One of my cousin crash off the back of a bike and died and my niece went left the house and said she was going by my cousin's house to help them out with the arrangement of the family, and when it was midnight and no one saw her arrive on the sight where all the arrangement were to be made, they began calling and making investigation about her whereabouts. And the following morning, they found her dead with all her clothing ripped from her body! Apparently, the taxi she had gone into, to bring her to the location where the funeral arrangement was supposed to have taken place, realize she wasn't from that community, molested her and then killed her."
Papa explained.
A gush of sadness overflow my being as I stood there gazing at him in great disbelief and he staring at me in like manner.
What could I do? There was noting I could do or say, to remove the pain of the lost of his twenty-three-year-old niece; who has died, leaving two small children behind.
Knowing that Papa was hungry, I prepared from him whatever little food I had in the kitchen and gave it to him - a mixture of boil bananas, seasoned rice and some calaloo. Which he thank me for and then was on his way after my aunt handed him a few dollars for his pocket.
Once again, I declare, Lord, please have mercy on your people!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog