A True Best Friend Indeed!


I had gone to the store to purchase a few items needed for dinner. And on my way back from doing so, I saw this large brown creature standing in the middle of the road. There was noting about him that looked threatening to me at the time, even though, I wasn't sure what his reaction would be if I had got any closer to him. He seemed quite pleasant, just standing there staring at me, as though expecting me to tough him. And so, with little hesitancy I did.


"Wow" I exclaimed, as I stroked his head repeatedly
Surprise to see first how he had allowed me to touch him and it was our very time laying eyes on each other. Having my hand touching his head, he showed what I considered to be a very pleasant face; indicating to me that he liked me touching him and even more, he really liked me.

There were two persons passing by who I reached out to ask, if they knew the name of this fine looking creature; presuming that they were from that side of the neighborhood. But, neither claimed to know his name. So, I decided, I would give him a name and proceeded to call him, Friendly.

I noticed that whenever I remove myself away from Friendly, he would draw closer and closer to me. but since I had a pot to put on the fire, I force myself to let Friendly be; so I could get home and start taking care of the bittle - dinner.

Amazingly though, Friendly started to follow me, and he followed me all the way to my gate, but it was quite strange or rather shocking to me and others dwelling on the property, Friendly would not enter the yard in which I was living.

My aunt who was no lover of any form of non-verbal creature, open the gate, inviting the animal inside the yard, but the animal wouldn't budge. He showed signs that he was happy to be outside the gate so I allowed him to stay where he felt the most happiest... sitting in front of the iron gates.

Shortly after reaching home and starting my pot, I soon learned that Friendly had a talent or habit that he loved carrying out. He had a serious habit of chasing cars; and not any and every car that he would feel the urge to chase after. He would watch the cars from a distance, position himself and then chase after them and pull at their bumper as they try speeding away. And then, there were other cars that he would leave completely alone and let them go by without attacking them. And just like the car, so was his attitude towards some persons; barking at them viciously until they were out of his sight.

The questions everyone began asking each other; was why was he chasing some cars and not others, and why was he barking at some people and not others?

Due to the fact that he was constantly at my gate now, and would follow me everywhere I went on foot, I came to realize that most of the persons who he usually barks at, were young boys or older men who would throw stones on or after him, sometimes in an attempt to tease him or they presumed that he was going to attack because of his husky appearance. But it barks were 
only that... pure barking and no bite, even though, many wanted to see him dead because of those same barks. But his reasons for chasing the vehicles and wanting to viciously ripped them apart, I have not come to figure that one out as yet.

Even though, a community story was shared about Friendly being a human being at one point in his life, in which he took a taxi to his village, and after reaching his journey and paid the driver his fear, the taxi driver, not having any change for the hundred dollars he had handed to him; he decided to drive away with his hundred dollar bill, Therefore, he chases after these cars, claiming that he wants his money back from the taxi driver. 
So amusing... surely had me cracking up!

However, Friendly, remained faithful to me for over the past three to four years that I had known him, following me on both land and sea, hills and valleys; every move I made to the local stores and back. And at times, he would try and step into any taxi or public transportation I entered into, have the other passengers bursting with laughter as they ask; "Where the hell is this dog think he is going?"
Or, seated passengers would lash out at me; "Lady, don't you see the dog wants to come inside the vehicle with you; just tell him that there is no space inside here for him!" as they giggled at the idea and the attempt of Friendly coming inside the vehicle and seated himself among the passenger as if he was a four footed little child going on an errand in the city.

At other times many persons would acknowledge to me what a beautiful and faithful dog he is to me, and often times deeming me as his owner. And with much disappointment, I would usually express to them; "He really isn't my dog, he only follows me around whenever he sees me stepping through my gate."

"He loves you, man!" Some in turn would respond. "You must treat him real good why he follows you around like that!" Others would comment. While few others would reach for a big stone and shout, as Friendly gazed upon them without any of his friendly demeanor... no wagging of tale or any doggy smiles. "If this dog ever come near to me, a kill me ago kill him!"

"What are going to kill him for?" I would lash out, "He didn't trouble you... did he trouble you or barked at you?" I would continued on angrily as I looked at them with much contempt and hurt in my heart.
It was on one of my long walks that I had encountered two men, of which one of them with much amazement lashed out, "Timothy, what are you doing all this way?" as he patted his head with much friendliness.
"Do you know this dog? Is he yours?"
 I ask nervously.
"No, he is not my dog! He belongs to a man by the name of Mr. Main!"
The man replied.

"I know Mr. Main!" I said, "Is this really his dog?" I reiterated.

"Yes, he is Mr. Main's dog. But this dog will follow you to the ends of the earth and back, especially, if he likes you."
 He continued to express.

"My farm is not anywhere near this place, and sometimes in the mornings, he will follow me to my farm and stay there with me all day long until I'm ready to return home." 
The other man interjected.

And before I could open my mouth to say another word, the man went on to unveil with a sudden outburst.
"One thing I can tell you, this dog can never suffer! He is too good to people for him to suffer! Like a cop, he patrols your yard at nights! If he sees anything strange, he starts sounding an alarm - barking like crazy to let someone knows that unwanted guest is around your property! And wherever he sees you, he come running to greet you!"
The stranger continued.

Since the men had express such closeness to Friendly, I wasn't sure if he was going to go off with them or continue to accompany me with my long walk. But as I walked away from the two strangers, Friendly came chasing after me, and so I realized that this dog is the epitome of what faithfulness is or suppose to be. Because, in my opinion, he could have easily turned around and followed these men to wherever they were going at the time, since it was his practice to be in their company. But, he continued on with our journey.

Astonishingly, approximately four years after following me around the neighborhood like I was truly his master, and also other places that I had venture out to beyond the walls of my community, Timothy, finally stepped foot into my yard; on my property, coming all the way in the backyard to drink water, feed and just relax.

Observing Timothy's protective ways towards me and how he never leaves me alone, other persons living in the community would constantly be asking me to give them a puppy whenever Timothy sprouts his seed on any of the bitches around the neighborhood. But sadly I informed them that such wasn't possibly, because his balls are absent from their hanging place... he was neutered. 

Now up in age and sporting a sprain ankle, resulting from jumping my yard gate to let himself in and out as he likes, he still chases cars, but not quite as often. Causing many of the drivers to teasingly shout out at him; "Old Boy Timo, you can't run again! Time for you go and sit down now; you old!" as they hank their car horns and revved their engines.

Timothy's age is unbeknown to me, but I presumed, he is going into fifteen years. Calculating the years since I have been living in this community and learning that he was here long before I had gotten here. 

However, the sound of my voice or even glimpse of me at a distance, would provoke Timothy to come running after me and parading a dance at my feet before taking up his position at my side, and following me to wherever it is that I am heading off to along with two other strays who seems to be Timothy's friends also. While eyes stare at me with much jealousy and utterances made about me and the dog who is always by my side, and who I truly consider to be my friend.
CCW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog